Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
htasim

Is it possible for me to claim Manitoba Tuition Rebate before the Tuition Carryover Credits for 2015 tax return? Or it is mandatory to use credits first before Rebate?

Basically I am filing 2015 2016 2017 returns and 2015 was the first year I had income after graduation. I have a lot of Federal and Provincial tuition credits carried over from 4 years of university. Since Manitoba Tuition Rebate is suspended from 2018, I want to make sure if I can claim the Rebate in 2015 2016 2017 before using tuition credits? Is is possible to claim rebate and credits both in the same year or you have to first use all the provincial credits before you are eligible to claim the Rebate?

1 Reply

Is it possible for me to claim Manitoba Tuition Rebate before the Tuition Carryover Credits for 2015 tax return? Or it is mandatory to use credits first before Rebate?

No, it is not possible to claim the Manitoba Tuition Rebate before the Tuition Carryover Credits. 

The Canada Revenue Agency requires that you use as much of your tuition credit or carryforward amount as required to lower your tax payable to zero. You cannot choose to use less to apply as the tuition credit is applied before these other credits. CRA will automatically use any carryforward amounts they have on file, even if you do not make the claim when you file your tax return.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...