Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
susanmo46

I am a Cand citizen, re-entering in july 2018 after living in the uk for 5 years. I have rental income from property based in the uk, what do I enter on my tax return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a Cand citizen, re-entering in july 2018 after living in the uk for 5 years. I have rental income from property based in the uk, what do I enter on my tax return?

If you have been advised from CRA that you are a Canadian Citizen after leaving for 5 years and returning, then you would claim your rental income from your property in UK under "Income" go to "Rental Properties" and you will complete the information in that section. Continue till you get to the page "Rental Profile" you will make sure you check off "rental income".

For Foreign Rental Property enter your Canadian home postal code for the Postal Code for the property and your home province for the Province. In the Address for the property, fill out as much of the property's address as will fit, including the equivalent of the postal code (such as a ZIP code for US addresses). Note that the CRA's NETILFE/EFILE servers will accept only the first 30 characters of the address.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you have been advised from CRA that you are a Canadian Citizen after leaving for 5 years and returning, then you would claim your rental income from your property in UK under "Income" go to "Rental Properties" and you will complete the information in that section. Continue till you get to the page "Rental Profile" you will make sure you check off "rental income".

For Foreign Rental Property enter your Canadian home postal code for the Postal Code for the property and your home province for the Province. In the Address for the property, fill out as much of the property's address as will fit, including the equivalent of the postal code (such as a ZIP code for US addresses). Note that the CRA's NETILFE/EFILE servers will accept only the first 30 characters of the address.