Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruceyuan

If I transfer money from my foreign account to my canadian account, would it be taxed?

1 Reply

If I transfer money from my foreign account to my canadian account, would it be taxed?

If you are transferring your personal assets to yourself, generally, there will be no tax implications, but there are other factors you must take into consideration before you transfer this amount:

• The country in which you are transferring the money from. Check the country of origin to understand their rules before transferring any monies.
  • The amount being transferred and from what income source does this money come from. (ie: USA - post 9/11 rules are very strict)
  •  Your residency status will play a factor in the process as well. While you were a resident of Canada, if you earned any income from sources such as rental income, interest, or capital gains; these are all taxable in Canada.

Canada, in general, does not regulate or tax cash sent into the country. Exceptions come into play when that cash is in the form of property, company shares, and designated stock or other securities.