Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jessifv20

I wan to know 4 Non Refundable credits that can not be transferred to a spouse. I am confused with this.

Non refundable credits  that I can not transfer to my spouse.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I wan to know 4 Non Refundable credits that can not be transferred to a spouse. I am confused with this.

Amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner. If your spouse or common-law partner does not need to claim some or all of certain non-refundable tax credits to reduce his or her federal tax to zero, you may be able to transfer those unused amounts to your return.

Things like CPP & EI premiums paid are not transferable in any situation.

Other credits are like the age amount - you can use leftover amounts. Still other credits like medical expenses and donations can be claimed entirely by one spouse or the other.

Here is a link to CRA which will help you!

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

When doing a coupled return using TurboTax it always looks for the best return possible return for you!

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner. If your spouse or common-law partner does not need to claim some or all of certain non-refundable tax credits to reduce his or her federal tax to zero, you may be able to transfer those unused amounts to your return.

Things like CPP & EI premiums paid are not transferable in any situation.

Other credits are like the age amount - you can use leftover amounts. Still other credits like medical expenses and donations can be claimed entirely by one spouse or the other.

Here is a link to CRA which will help you!

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

When doing a coupled return using TurboTax it always looks for the best return possible return for you!