Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I forgot to claim my child's disability tax credit for 2017 & need to refile- when refile it puts the disability on my husbands income.Need it to change to me how?

When I filed my taxes for 2017, I forgot to claim my childs disability tax credit. I want to file to claim this, when I refile in turbo tax, it automatically puts the deduction on to my spouses return. I am the beneficiary of the benefit and need to know to get it on to my tax deductions from his? The disclaimer says it automatically goes to the higher income earner, but I am the beneficiary. Any help is appriciated.

2 Replies

I forgot to claim my child's disability tax credit for 2017 & need to refile- when refile it puts the disability on my husbands income.Need it to change to me how?

If you have "My Account" with CRA, you can do the adjustment online. If you do not have "My Account", you can sign up for it now: 

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/e-services-individuals/account-individua...

It isn't possible to refile, unless CRA requests it. 

You would need to submit an adjustment using form T1-Adj. to your 2017 return.