I have unclaimed T2202A (university credits) forms from 2015, 2016, and 2017. How do I properly add them and my 2018 T2202A to be claimed for my 2018 Tax Return.

I'm looking to use my unclaimed university credits from previous years in order to maximize my return so that I can start some investments. I want to properly claim them with the correct forms, how do I do so ?


6 people found this helpful

You must claim your T2202A tuition amounts the year the T2202A was issued. In the same year, it must be used to offset any taxes you have payable. If there is any amount left, it will be carried forward throughout the years until it is used up. You can’t choose when to use your tuition, though you can transfer some to a spouse, parent or grandparent in the year you first claim it.

So to use your 2015, 2016, and 2017 T2202A tuition amounts, you must adjust the returns for those years, starting with 2015. Then you can add any amounts carried forward to your 2018 return, as well as your 2018 T2202A.

Here is how to claim tuition fees in TurboTax:

Enter your tuition and education information in the DEDUCTIONS > Students step of TurboTax.

Note: For 2017 and later tax years, the federal education and textbook amounts have been eliminated. However, if you had unused federal tuition, education and textbook amounts from prior years, you can still carry them forward to your 2017 and future returns.

For tax year 2016 and prior years:

The education and textbook credit is calculated based on the number full-time months or part-time months you were in school, as reported on your T2202A or TL11 slips. Therefore, when you entered your T2202A or TL11 slips to claim the tuition amount, TurboTax also automatically claimed the education and textbook credit.

To claim your tuition fees:

1. Select Find in the top-right corner of your screen and type “student” into the search field.

2. Select Students from the options that appear, and then select Go.

3. On the Student Profile step, check the box for Tuition Fees, as well as any others that apply, and then select Continue.

4. Follow the instructions on your screen to enter your information.


If you have tuition amounts in a different currency (for example, USD), visit our TurboTax FAQ on claiming tuition to schools outside Canada.



Related Information:

Related Information:


You can make changes after you have filed your tax return through the CRA or through ReFILE:

Yes, you can make changes to a filed tax return by filing an adjustment; How you file an adjustment depends on how you filed your original tax return (and if you need to make a change to your federal return or your Québec return, if applicable).


Filing adjustments to a federal tax return

The CRA requires that you wait until you’ve received your notice of assessment (NOA) before filing an adjustment. In many cases, the CRA will catch the mismatch and automatically adjust your return for you. So, it’s best to wait for your NOA as you might not even need to file an adjustment.

If you filed your original tax return using CRA’s NETFILE service:

  1. Sign in to your online TurboTax account or launch your edition of TurboTax CD/download for the tax year you want to prepare an adjustment for.
  2. In Return Manager, select the ReFILE button beside the filed tax return you want to adjust.


If you printed and mailed your original tax return or are in a situation excluded from ReFILE:

  1. See the CRA’s How to change your return page for how to make an adjustment online in your CRA My Account or by mail.


Note: Online editions of TurboTax don’t currently support ReFILE of federal tax returns for residents of Québec.


Filing adjustments to a Québec return

 TurboTax doesn’t currently support Revenu Québec’s electronic Déclaration amendée service.

To make an adjustment to a Québec return see Revenu Quebec’s Changing an income tax return that you have already filed page for instructions on how to make an adjustment online in your Revenu Québec My Account or by mail.




Related Information


Was this answer helpful? Yes No
TurboTaxSusan , Moderator

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community