Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(1) Net income for non-resident spouse and (2) RRSP / PRPP deduction limit for first-time filer.

Dear All, 

My wife moved to Canada from the US in August 2018 and started working in Canada. I was working in the US for the entire 2018. I've contacted CRA and was told that my wife needed to file tax as resident for the period from August to December 2018 and indicate that I am non-resident for 2018.

This will be the first time my wife files Canada tax return. I have never filed Canada tax return before.

We are working on my wife's 2018 tax return with TurboTax, and there are 2 questions I would like to seek clarification on.

1. Refer to the attached file, on the page that I indicate myself as non-resident, there is a question "Was my net income for 2018 zero?" with 4 boxes below it. Since I made money in the US, what should I declare here? 

2. Refer to the attached file, the question was about RRSP/PRPP deduction limit found on Line A of 2017 Notice of Assessment, since this is the first time my wife is filing Canada tax return, should we enter 0 in this box?

Thanks and regards,

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

(1) Net income for non-resident spouse and (2) RRSP / PRPP deduction limit for first-time filer.

Since you earned money in the US, you will enter the amount in CAN$ in the last box "income earned while living outside of Canada".

Since she did not work in Canada in 2017, her RRSP deduction limit will be zero. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Since you earned money in the US, you will enter the amount in CAN$ in the last box "income earned while living outside of Canada".

Since she did not work in Canada in 2017, her RRSP deduction limit will be zero.