Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwill7000
Returning Member

How do I claim rental property loss from lava covering?

We had a rental property in Hawaii with a little house that was completely covered by lava in May 2018. There was no insurance (premiums = 20% of house value). The state has appraised the property down to $0 and is no longer charging property tax. Where can we use this loss as a deduction? What line? And can we use both the house and the land as a total loss - technically we still own the "land", however it is more than likely going to be worthless and uninhabitable for many decades.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You would claim the loss of a Rental Asset as a Terminal Loss on the T776 Statement of Real Estate Rentals. Indicate that the Class 1 building asset has been disposed of for $1. The remaining balance in the Class will be the amount of terminal loss on line 9948.

The land will be disposed of on the Schedule 3 and will result in a Net Capital Loss which can only be used to reduce past Capital Gains (3 years), current year gains or future (indefinite) gains.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You would claim the loss of a Rental Asset as a Terminal Loss on the T776 Statement of Real Estate Rentals. Indicate that the Class 1 building asset has been disposed of for $1. The remaining balance in the Class will be the amount of terminal loss on line 9948.

The land will be disposed of on the Schedule 3 and will result in a Net Capital Loss which can only be used to reduce past Capital Gains (3 years), current year gains or future (indefinite) gains.

dwill7000
Returning Member

Thank you! Very helpful!  Would we claim the amount we paid for the property 7 years ago, the assessed value on the tax assessment or the fair market value just before the lava destruction?

You will have to use the purchase price.