Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emh09

How do I enter beginning inventory for a new (opened in 2018) sole proprietor online art business?

I am employed full time but started a side business selling my art as greeting cards (mainly online) in 2018 as a sole proprieter. Since I was printing the cards myself based off sales, I did not start with an inventory. Should I just enter the blank cardstock/envelope material costs i started with as my beginning inventory, and then again as my final inventory? Or, do I somehow include my digital designs in the inventory?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I enter beginning inventory for a new (opened in 2018) sole proprietor online art business?

If the business is new in 2018 you will not have any "Opening Inventory" but you may have additions/purchases of new inventory to add. The closing inventory in 2018 will carry forward as the opening inventory for 2019.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the business is new in 2018 you will not have any "Opening Inventory" but you may have additions/purchases of new inventory to add. The closing inventory in 2018 will carry forward as the opening inventory for 2019.