Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yoshiw101

Can I claim foreign social insurance/tax payments as a deduction on my foreign income? If so how do I do this on turbotax?

I started a job in Japan last year but still maintain residence in Canada. As there is a tax treaty, I need to pay Canadian income taxes on my income from Japan. I was wondering if its possible to claim my payments into the Japanese Social Insurance system as a deduction on my Canadian taxes, and if so how do I do this on Turbotax. I thought putting it into the "Deductions from foreign employment income" section on the Foreign Tax Credit section would do this but it seems to have no affect on my return. 

1 Reply

Can I claim foreign social insurance/tax payments as a deduction on my foreign income? If so how do I do this on turbotax?

Under the Income tab, you will find Tslips then drop down to Foreign slip.

Because we have a treaty with Japan, you will not be double taxed. You will then apply for a Foreign Tax Credit

• Apply for the FTC -in your "Find" icon at the top of the page, type in "Foreign Tax Credit" which will open the form needed to apply for this credit.

You can claim a foreign tax credit for the taxes that you paid in the foreign country. The foreign tax credit is the lesser of two amounts:

1. The income tax you paid in the foreign country
  2. The Canadian tax payable on the foreign source of income.