Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tasaar

MB website says I can claim MB Fitness Amount for my children under 16. Turbotax won't let me under provincial, says I am not the right age. Help! Fix?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

MB website says I can claim MB Fitness Amount for my children under 16. Turbotax won't let me under provincial, says I am not the right age. Help! Fix?

In TurboTax, you will see the Fitness Tax Credit in 2 places. The one in the “Provincial” section is there if you are a young enough to take the credit for yourself. If you want to claim it for a dependant, you must do it it the Claims for Dependants section.

Use the FIND tool to search for Claims for Dependants. Say YES when asked Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?, then click CONTINUE. Then click Enter Credit Info next to the dependant you want to claim the credit for. Check off any credits you want to claim and click CONTINUE until you get to the Did your child participate in a fitness activity? page. Enter your info and click CONTINUE to save.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

In TurboTax, you will see the Fitness Tax Credit in 2 places. The one in the “Provincial” section is there if you are a young enough to take the credit for yourself. If you want to claim it for a dependant, you must do it it the Claims for Dependants section.

Use the FIND tool to search for Claims for Dependants. Say YES when asked Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?, then click CONTINUE. Then click Enter Credit Info next to the dependant you want to claim the credit for. Check off any credits you want to claim and click CONTINUE until you get to the Did your child participate in a fitness activity? page. Enter your info and click CONTINUE to save.

I'm doing Tax for 2023 from British Columbia, Canada. I follow this guide:

- "Use the FIND tool to search for Claims for Dependants. Say YES when asked Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?, then click CONTINUE. Then click Enter Credit Info next to the dependant you want to claim the credit for." => Works as intended

- "Check off any credits you want to claim and click CONTINUE until you get to the Did your child participate in a fitness activity? page." => I tried to click all options and goes through all of them but the web page never ask about fitness activity.

Options available on my "Claim Dependant Credits for [child name]" page (the child is 6 years old  with no disability so I don't have his tax profile, so I put tuition and education amount as 0):

- Transfer my child's tuition and education amounts

- Disability amount transfer

- Amount for an eligible dependant

- Canada Caregiver Amount (including caregiver amount and amount for an infirm dependant)

- Adoption expenses

Unfortunately as seen in our TurboTax article: Family Tax Deductions: What Can I Claim? Only Quebec, Manitoba, and Yukon still have the fitness tax credits and the children’s art amount. All other provinces have eliminated these credits.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I checked on CRA website https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/federal-government-... and I thought it is a federal program.

I had a hunch that it is province-based, that's why I include my province in the question. Thanks again.

You're welcome and thank you for the feedback.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.