Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are OSAP grants considered taxable income?

My two son's received OSAP grants - one significantly more than the other.  The higher recipient has received 2 T4As (provincial and federal) for what I assume is the grant portion of the OSAP advance and through the CRA auto-fill is populating the other income field (~$6500) therefore increasing his income and resulting in a tax owing position.  My other son had a T4A but the auto-fill did not populate the other income field (~$400) and therefore is not reflected in his total earnings.  I'm confused why they seem to be populating differently AND I thought that while a full-time student there was no repayment on loans and grants did not count as taxable.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If your son was a full-time student, it may be just an issue with which box the T4A income is being assigned during the Auto-fill. To correct this, return to the T4A screen for the higher income and move the entry for box 105 to the spot for FT students.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If your son was a full-time student, it may be just an issue with which box the T4A income is being assigned during the Auto-fill. To correct this, return to the T4A screen for the higher income and move the entry for box 105 to the spot for FT students.