Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayad1

Is the reserve fund (Condo Fees) considered an expense? I rent my condo and I know the condo fees are claimed as an expense. Part of the condo fees is reserve fund.

1 Reply

Is the reserve fund (Condo Fees) considered an expense? I rent my condo and I know the condo fees are claimed as an expense. Part of the condo fees is reserve fund.

The CRA's IT Bulletin on Condominiums states "no deduction or capitalization of the expense (reserve fund) is permitted until the amount is laid out to earn income by the condominium corporation". 

This means you should subtract the portion of the reserve fund from the condo fees prior to reporting the deduction as a current expense on your tax return. Then when the condo corporation incurs an expense from this fund for maintenance, repairs, improvements or additions to the common elements, you may claim a current expense or capitalize it depending on the nature of the work.

Here's the CRA documentation referred to: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pub/it304r2/it304r2-e.pdf