Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a have a foreign tax credit from the USA for a rental property

I have a have a foreign tax credit from the USA for a rental property. I entered the details in the "Foreign Tax Credits" page (income, deduction, tax paid). However  when I click continue and go to the "Foreign tax credit summary" it does not show a credit. Nor does the tax refund calculator increase. What could I be doing wrong?

1 Reply

I have a have a foreign tax credit from the USA for a rental property

Assuming this is the only US income you are getting, it may also depend on your Canadian tax bracket. 

• Here is another link that will explain it perfectly (it refers to Florida, but the general reference is for the USA) from Allan Madan, he is a CPA, CA and the founder of Madan Chartered Accountant Professional Corporation. Also an International Tax Expert https://bit.ly/2VBmNUv

If after review and following directives, a credit is due and all entries have been applied correctly, then please contact our support team for further assistance, as they can review your screen if necessary. If the agent is unable to resolve your issue, please request to have your situation "escalated" to a higher level.

Answer the questions, so it guides you towards the right team.  Apply the drop downs and you will get a phone number specified to your question (ie - support, care):