Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pppuma

My wife received a moving reimbursement to move from MB to BC. We both moved for work. Can I claim all of the eligible moving expenses that we incurred?

We both moved for work.

She's received $3,500 moving allowance from her new employer.

I received no moving allowance from my new employer.

Can I claim the full amount of the eligible moving expenses? Or does she need to claim it given that she received the moving allowance?

1 Reply

My wife received a moving reimbursement to move from MB to BC. We both moved for work. Can I claim all of the eligible moving expenses that we incurred?

If you have enough taxes owing that you can use both your and your wife’s moving expenses, then you can report all of the expenses on your return. To do this in TurboTax, you would have to add all her amounts to yours, at least in the cases where you both had the same expense. Also be aware that if you carry forward the moving expenses, in future years it would be best to keep the expenses on your return, as switching them to your wife’s may cause the CRA to make inquiries.

If your wife received a moving allowance from her employer, then neither of you can take her full expenses. You would have to reduce them by the allowance amount (there is a space specifically for this in interview).

Here is how to claim moving expenses in TurboTax: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648075