Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chelsea3

Does Quebec allow donations to US charities if I have US income?

This question went to court and then to Quebec's Court of Appeals, but I don't know how the Court of Appeals ruled.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As far as my research got me, there is still no firm decision made, as the corporation’s appeal to the courts was not successful. Unfortunately, the company did not advance any argument with respect to the interpretation of section 488 of the Act, and accordingly, the appeal did not address the lower court’s decision. This decision now leaves the lower court’s findings in place and precludes individuals in Quebec from claiming the deductions available to residents in the rest of Canada. This status quo raises questions as to whether there will be any proposed amendments to section 488 of the Act to address these findings. In the meantime, any Quebec residents should think carefully when making donations to charities in the United States.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

As far as my research got me, there is still no firm decision made, as the corporation’s appeal to the courts was not successful. Unfortunately, the company did not advance any argument with respect to the interpretation of section 488 of the Act, and accordingly, the appeal did not address the lower court’s decision. This decision now leaves the lower court’s findings in place and precludes individuals in Quebec from claiming the deductions available to residents in the rest of Canada. This status quo raises questions as to whether there will be any proposed amendments to section 488 of the Act to address these findings. In the meantime, any Quebec residents should think carefully when making donations to charities in the United States.

chelsea3

Thank you for the update!

You are most welcome.