Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kengc

Why are "Unused federal & provincial tuition and education amounts from last year" amounts being added into my income total?

I used auto download my tax forms, once that process was complete it showed correctly my work income. But it also shows, and adds to my income total, unused provincial and federal tuition/education amounts significantly skewing how much i made last year. that's simply not the case. 

12 Replies

Why are "Unused federal & provincial tuition and education amounts from last year" amounts being added into my income total?

Unused Tuition Amounts are not added to your income. When you use the CRA AutoFill to import your tax information, these amounts are imported and used as a "credit" to reduce any tax payable you may have.

If you do not need to use these credits, they will carryforward again and be used when you do need them. Having Tuition Credits available is not a bad thing, you will benefit from them when needed.

kengc

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the tax software is in fact adding those tuition credits to my total income last year, significantly raising the final number of my income being reported.

I am also having the same problem. It is adding it to my income.

@brianwalser What type of slip are you adding your Tuition from? Do you have a T4E or T4A with tuition assistance on it?

I am having the same issue. Wondering how tuition credits are increasing income & tax owing. Shouldn't it be doing the opposite? Please advice if I need to leave it as is. Thanx

@contactsantosh Are you entering Tuition from a T2202A slip incurred this year? Also, can you tell us if your actual "income" is increasing on Line 150 due to this addition? Thanks :relieved:

No. When TurboTax pulls data from CRA website, it is added to Income. I haven't completed the return. Can I see Line 150 prior to hitting submit button ? Let me know. Thanx

With this software I downloaded it from the CRA and I owed 500$ in tax. With another software I received 1000$ from the CRA. Something is very wrong here. The same thing happened with my fiancé. We did not manually enter any other values.

The income is decreasing as it should but my amount owing increases. If I remove the tuition it magically jumps up.