Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My partner and I moved from Alberta to Nova Scotia in 2018 to find new work. We found work a month and two months after moving. Can we claim moving expenses?

We left at the end of the school year (end of June 2018) as he is a teacher; he was on a contract. We both left our jobs at the end of June and moved across the country in July. I started work August 27 and he started at the beginning of the school year, Sept 4. Neither of us had jobs lined up prior to moving. Can we claim moving expenses? To make matters more complicated, I left my new position on October 19 and started with a different company on October 22. Would my moving expenses (if eligible) be applied to my first income after moving, or all incomes after moving?

1 Reply

My partner and I moved from Alberta to Nova Scotia in 2018 to find new work. We found work a month and two months after moving. Can we claim moving expenses?

If you or your spouse did not specifically move for a new job, transfer to another position with your current employer, or attend school, CRA will likely disallow any Moving Expenses on the basis this was "a move for personal reasons" As neither of you had a job to go to (or were attending school), this is not considered to be an "Eligible Relocation" and you are not eligible to claim moving expenses. CRA also considers a move to look for a better job to be personal.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-fol...