Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My spouse receives only non-taxable income (LTD benefit payments). Can I claim the spouse amount for him (line 303)? Did I 'support' him if he earns income? Thanks

My spouse's non-taxable income is more than my taxable income.  I wasn't sure if I would be considered to be 'supporting him' even though his net income is basically zero.  If I can't claim it, his basic personal amount will go unused.  Thanks

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My spouse receives only non-taxable income (LTD benefit payments). Can I claim the spouse amount for him (line 303)? Did I 'support' him if he earns income? Thanks

If your spouse has no other income other than his "non-taxable LTD payments" (which he does not receive a tax slip for), when you prepare your tax returns together (simultaneously) you will receive the full spousal credit for him. The spousal credit is equal to his basic personal amount.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647686

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If your spouse has no other income other than his "non-taxable LTD payments" (which he does not receive a tax slip for), when you prepare your tax returns together (simultaneously) you will receive the full spousal credit for him. The spousal credit is equal to his basic personal amount.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647686

Thanks so much for your response