Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to report rrsp contributions that were missed in previous years, even if they were under $200?

I just noticed that I didn’t report the entire rrsp amount I contributed in past years.  I didn’t realize that the receipt for the first 60 days also had to be included.  Amounts are under $200.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to report rrsp contributions that were missed in previous years, even if they were under $200?

You should report these contributions. It may only be a few dollars difference on your refund, but it's your tax dollars and you are entitled to them 🙂

To report any contributions you may have missed from the First 60 Days of 2018 or earlier, you'll need to make an adjustment to that particular years return. You can use "My Account" if you are set up, otherwise, you will need to print a paper copy and mail it to your tax centre.

If you use CRA's Auto-Fill service to import your tax slips, these contributions may be in CRA's records and downloaded to your return as a "carried forward contribution" which can be claimed on the current year tax return. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/change... 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You should report these contributions. It may only be a few dollars difference on your refund, but it's your tax dollars and you are entitled to them 🙂

To report any contributions you may have missed from the First 60 Days of 2018 or earlier, you'll need to make an adjustment to that particular years return. You can use "My Account" if you are set up, otherwise, you will need to print a paper copy and mail it to your tax centre.

If you use CRA's Auto-Fill service to import your tax slips, these contributions may be in CRA's records and downloaded to your return as a "carried forward contribution" which can be claimed on the current year tax return. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/change...