Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received from BMO Investorline a T5/NR4, where in TurboTax do I enter (3A) Gross Foreign Income (US) and (6A) Foreign Tax Paid (US), in profile see T5, but not T5/NR4?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received from BMO Investorline a T5/NR4, where in TurboTax do I enter (3A) Gross Foreign Income (US) and (6A) Foreign Tax Paid (US), in profile see T5, but not T5/NR4?

There is no actual NR (Non-Resident) Forms in a T1 General Tax Return, therefore you cannot enter this slip on a particular page or screen. If you receive a T5-NR you report it on your Non-Resident tax return in the same manner as you would a T5 slip, on the T5 page in TurboTax.

Depending on the source of the income, you can enter on your Canadian tax return on the type of slip which that income was derived from. For example:

• If this is from Old Age Security (OAS), enter on the T4A(OAS) screen. 
  • If this is Interest income, enter as Interest & Investment Income.
  • If this is a T5, enter on the T5 screen. Make your entries in Box 15 and 16. 

Ensure you keep the slip available if CRA requests to see it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

There is no actual NR (Non-Resident) Forms in a T1 General Tax Return, therefore you cannot enter this slip on a particular page or screen. If you receive a T5-NR you report it on your Non-Resident tax return in the same manner as you would a T5 slip, on the T5 page in TurboTax.

Depending on the source of the income, you can enter on your Canadian tax return on the type of slip which that income was derived from. For example:

• If this is from Old Age Security (OAS), enter on the T4A(OAS) screen. 
  • If this is Interest income, enter as Interest & Investment Income.
  • If this is a T5, enter on the T5 screen. Make your entries in Box 15 and 16. 

Ensure you keep the slip available if CRA requests to see it.

I dont have any Interest income in my t5/nr4  but it says i finished the year in debit in the last page of the trading summary! I had an investment income but wasn't Interest or dividend, where would I enter that number? Should i add that number to box 21 of T5008?