Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently widowed but always filed single when I was legally separated for many years what can’t do now . When I tried to send 2018 tax return it wouldn’t let me

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Recently widowed but always filed single when I was legally separated for many years what can’t do now . When I tried to send 2018 tax return it wouldn’t let me

I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

You need to make sure that your marital status matches what the CRA has on file for you. If you were previously filing as “Single”, then you can’t change it to “Widowed” unless the CRA has been notified.

If you need to correct your Marital Status, select “Marital Status” from under “Setting Up/Introduction” in the left side menu. Choose the correct options and click the “Continue” button to save your information.

You can update your info through the CRA’s My Account service or by calling them at 1-800-959-8281.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

You need to make sure that your marital status matches what the CRA has on file for you. If you were previously filing as “Single”, then you can’t change it to “Widowed” unless the CRA has been notified.

If you need to correct your Marital Status, select “Marital Status” from under “Setting Up/Introduction” in the left side menu. Choose the correct options and click the “Continue” button to save your information.

You can update your info through the CRA’s My Account service or by calling them at 1-800-959-8281.