Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgrossi

I have in home office and related expenses for independent consultant and employment expenses. How do I split this for the return.

1 Reply

I have in home office and related expenses for independent consultant and employment expenses. How do I split this for the return.

Anything that is not reported on a Tslip is considered self-employment income, which would be your home office. 

As for Employment Expenses, this would be considered only if you have a T2200 from your employer giving you permission to apply certain employment expenses, and only those would be entered on this slip.

• Self Employment will be located under the Income tab then drop down to Self-Employment, this will allow you to enter all your independent consulting information. You will have to get an industry code which can be found here - https://bit.ly/2A9dwtd .
  • Employment Expenses can be claimed under the same tab, but drop down to Employment Expenses and follow directives through that form to enter in your employment expenses only.