Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phogg

How can I overcome a problem of Turbo Tax being unable to download tax info from CRA?

I'm filing a joint return. The auto fill feature works for spouse but not for the other. After successfully logging into the CRA site, TurboTax tells me it is unable to download the info.

49 Replies

How can I overcome a problem of Turbo Tax being unable to download tax info from CRA?

Depending on the browser, the log in info might be sticking from the first Autofill. The easiest way to solve this is to log into the first spouse's CRA My Account directly (not through TurboTax) and then log out. By logging out from the service directly, you should be then able to log into the other spouse's return directly from TurboTax.

Phogg

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion but got the same response from TurboTax, unfortunately, i.e., "We weren't able to download your info. We got an error when trying to connect to the CRA. Don't worry; we'll help you get the info you have into all the right spots in just a few steps." But no further steps were shown after that.
Phogg

By the way, my browser is MS Edge. I have tried clearing browser history and re-installing TurboTax to no avail. TurboTax still gets an error when trying to connect to CRA for my spouse's tax info. It works OK for mine. It worked OK for both of us last year.

Do you have any trouble logging into the account from outside TurboTax?
Phogg

No trouble logging in that way.

One more option to try is to keep the My Account window for your spouse open on the browser and then launch the Autofill  option. We haven't be notified of any similar issues so I'd like to eliminate any easy solves before arranging for a call from our Support team.
Phogg

I have tried that idea and got the same result, i.e., TurboTax not able to download the info because it detects an error when trying to connect to CRA.
Phogg

I just tried it again and, for some unknown reason, it worked! I didn't do anything differently. In any event, thank you very much for your quick responses.

Happy it worked! 🙂