Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a non-resident of Canada as of 31/12/2018, but earned income in Ontario and resided in QC for 3 months in the year. Why is TurboTax not letting me file a QC return?

I ceased to reside in Canada in 2018, and was resident in Québec on the day I ceased to reside in Canada, therefore I need to file a Quebec tax return. 

However, when declaring I am non-resident as of 31/12/2018 in the Turbotax tool, it does not allow me to file a provincial tax return. Only the federal one is generated. Why?

1 Reply

I am a non-resident of Canada as of 31/12/2018, but earned income in Ontario and resided in QC for 3 months in the year. Why is TurboTax not letting me file a QC return?

The question here becomes what province did you physically live in on Dec 31,2018, as well as departing date from Canada (which you answer right at the beginning of the tax return when you go through the residency information)

• The question is “Did you work in 2018?” YES – you then see all the Tslips including T4 and then drops to Quebec option. 
  • Go back and start right from the beginning and ensure all entries have been made correctly.

Also, keep in mind that since you are a non resident you will have to print and mail your tax return. You will not be able to Netfile with the CRA.