Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mardi24

Why your fed. & ont. age amounts for a person born in 1951 are incorrect. federal changed from $5,734 to cra amount $5,648; ont. age amount from $3,555 to cra of $3,469.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why your fed. & ont. age amounts for a person born in 1951 are incorrect. federal changed from $5,734 to cra amount $5,648; ont. age amount from $3,555 to cra of $3,469.

The 2018 age amounts are $7,333 federally and $5,055 provincially (Ontario). Your claim for these credits may be lower than the maximum due to income. Both the federal and provincial age amount credits have income caps. To receive the full amount, your net income must be less than $36,976. If your net income is above that level, the credit is reduced until it no longer applies (cap of $85,863).

Here's a link for more details: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The 2018 age amounts are $7,333 federally and $5,055 provincially (Ontario). Your claim for these credits may be lower than the maximum due to income. Both the federal and provincial age amount credits have income caps. To receive the full amount, your net income must be less than $36,976. If your net income is above that level, the credit is reduced until it no longer applies (cap of $85,863).

Here's a link for more details: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

grampar

I now understand the calculation however I don’t understand why turbo-tax miscalculated the amounts?

my return indicated a certain amount to be refunded and it was less because of this apparent mistake. How can I have faith in your software in the future?

Dave Imeson

PS This problem exists on Kevin OHallorans tax return which I completed on my account.