Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
metalic2020
Returning Member

I moved alone from WPG to Work for 4 months coop in Vancouver, can I claim moving expenses for myself, and if so, where flights, rental, and meals should be added?

I live with my family in Winnipeg, MB, and I moved alone to Work for 4 months coop in Vancouver, so I flew 3 round trips, paid rental for two places plus transportation and living expenses in both homes, can I claim moving expenses to Vancouver for myself, and if so, where flights, rental, and meals should be added?
My employer's office is in North Vancouver, and I wasn't reimbursed for any of my expenses
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I moved alone from WPG to Work for 4 months coop in Vancouver, can I claim moving expenses for myself, and if so, where flights, rental, and meals should be added?

You may qualify for this move if you "ordinarily resided" in both residences. The general rules on moving expense deductibility, indicate that "in order for a move to qualify as an eligible relocation, the taxpayer must have ordinarily resided in both the old and new locations. Even if the taxpayer does not intend to stay in the new location permanently, he or she must settle into the new location and centralize his or her mode of living in that location to be considered as ordinarily residing there.  Where, however, the taxpayer is not considered to ordinarily reside at a location, the move will be temporary and will not be eligible.

Another thing to consider is, did you move 40kms closer to a new work location, or did you move due to a transfer to another establishment of your employer? CRA will take all these factors in to consideration if they review your Moving Expense claim and could decide that it was only temporary. 

It's strongly suggested that you consult CRA for the final decision on making this claim, as Moving Expense claims are often reviewed by CRA and disallowed if the taxpayer does not meet the specific requirements.

The following link contains detailed information on the Moving Expense deduction: https://bit.ly/2UbuVOL

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You may qualify for this move if you "ordinarily resided" in both residences. The general rules on moving expense deductibility, indicate that "in order for a move to qualify as an eligible relocation, the taxpayer must have ordinarily resided in both the old and new locations. Even if the taxpayer does not intend to stay in the new location permanently, he or she must settle into the new location and centralize his or her mode of living in that location to be considered as ordinarily residing there.  Where, however, the taxpayer is not considered to ordinarily reside at a location, the move will be temporary and will not be eligible.

Another thing to consider is, did you move 40kms closer to a new work location, or did you move due to a transfer to another establishment of your employer? CRA will take all these factors in to consideration if they review your Moving Expense claim and could decide that it was only temporary. 

It's strongly suggested that you consult CRA for the final decision on making this claim, as Moving Expense claims are often reviewed by CRA and disallowed if the taxpayer does not meet the specific requirements.

The following link contains detailed information on the Moving Expense deduction: https://bit.ly/2UbuVOL