Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marital status change from CL to single in TTax/CRA. Error - Can't have single status with spouse info entered. Can't delete spouse info. Skip error and file anyway?

Changed marital status on TTax/CRA from CL to single (12/18). TTax error "Your marital status cannot be single if you've entered information about your spouse/partner". It won't allow me to delete my partner's info. Best thing to do here to skip error and file anyway?

My marital status changed as of 12-17-2018 from Common-Law to Single. I changed my status successfully in CRA and TurboTax. TurboTax is requiring me to enter spouse's info. At the end, there is an error message saying "Your marital status cannot be single if you've entered information about your spouse/partner". I can't delete my partner's information. Should I skip this error and file anyways? Or is there a way to fix it?

UPDATE: The reply said to start a new return and select to transfer my spousal return. We filed separately, so this is not an option when I start my new return. I have tried starting a new return with both options offered (selecting my name as well as skipping the transfer altogether). TurboTax still asks for partner's info. What am I doing wrong?

9 Replies

Marital status change from CL to single in TTax/CRA. Error - Can't have single status with spouse info entered. Can't delete spouse info. Skip error and file anyway?

In the year that you separate, you are still required by CRA to complete some information about your spouse. Here's some more information.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3425400

You are unable to NetFile your tax return with an "Error" message, so you cannot simply skip it. You'll need to prepare your tax returns separately, so your only choice now that you have proceeded this far is to start a new return.

There is a way to transfer or carryforward your tax information from last year and only prepare your return. You will however, have to start a new return to do so. 

After you choose to "Start a New Return", and select to transfer your spousal return from last year, you should see a screen that asks "Has anything changed since last year?". Check "My marital status changed" and continue. You will then be asked "What do you want to transfer", and you can choose to prepare your own return separately.

UPDATE: The reply said to start a new return and select to transfer my spousal return. We filed separately, so this is not an option when I start my new return. I have tried starting a new return with both options offered (selecting my name as well as skipping the transfer altogether). TurboTax still asks for partner's info. What am I doing wrong?

I have the same issue. Has anyone ever found a fix?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you have changed your marital status during the tax year, you can start your return (self) and file separately, but you will have to enter the ex-spouse/ex-common-law partner's information and enter the separation date. 

If you have been separated for more than a year, you file a separate tax return and you don't need to enter your ex's information.

If you have already started filing your return and your partner's return then decided to file a separate return, unfortunately, you will not be able to delete the partner's return or remove the information. You will need to start a new return to file a separate return.

I hope this was helpful

If you change marital status to "separated" you can file using net file. 

i paid and i have to create new and pay again ?

i paid and do i have to create new return and pay again ?

Why do you need to create a new return? If you need to change your marital status you can simply go to Info- and continue- make sure that if you were common-law and now have separated- that your marital status is now "Separated- you can edit it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.