Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janet7

Can I claim a Driver's Medical exam fee that was paid to my doctor for the exam and form?

6 Replies

Can I claim a Driver's Medical exam fee that was paid to my doctor for the exam and form?

Yes, you can claim a driver's medical exam fee as a medical expense on your income tax return.

With all respect, I didn't find it into the eligible medical expenses list.  Happy to have the info, but it's based on which CRA resources???

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

You can claim any medical examinations (not related to plastic surgeries) as medical expenses: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4065/me...

If you have private health insurance that covers a portion of the fee, you can claim the uncovered portion only. 

I hope this was helpful 

ADF77

Hi there, 

If the Driver's Medical exam was required as a condition of continued employment, may I include this expense under Employment Expenses rather than Medical Expenses? (paid for personally, not reimbursed)

Thank you

carkar1

Do you have an up to date resource, I cannot find this on the CRA site.  The link you have provided throws an error that the page does not exist.

JMCsenior

According to CRA, this fee cannot be claimed as a medical expense.

Refer: Qualifying Health Care Supplies and the Application of the GST/HST to Supplies of Medical Examinatio...

Please see Example 10 of the document.  

Rationale

Provinces have certain conditions that must be met in order for an individual to have a driver’s licence. Generally, these conditions include that an individual not have any physical or mental health conditions that would interfere with their driving or visual abilities. Therefore, the purpose of this supply is to determine if an individual meets the health requirements to retain or renew a driver’s licence and not for the purposes described in the definition of qualifying health care supply.

The supply is not a qualifying health care supply as the purpose of this supply is not included in paragraphs (a) to (e) of the definition of qualifying health care supply in section 1 of Part II of Schedule V