Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependant with income, my 16yo received a T4. on Turbotax it only has box for T1? Asks for net, do I calculate it myself from the T4 income tax and EI premiums?

7 Replies

Dependant with income, my 16yo received a T4. on Turbotax it only has box for T1? Asks for net, do I calculate it myself from the T4 income tax and EI premiums?

If your dependant earned any income they should be filing their own tax return. They may not have had tax withheld, or be getting a refund, but it starts building up their RRSP Contribution Room if the income is actual "earned income".

Regardless if the dependant files a tax return or not, if you are making a claim for the "Eligible Dependant Amount" for this particular dependant, you must include their income. You can just use the amount shown in Box 14 of your son's T4 slip, (the only amounts on the T4 you would subtract from Box 14 would be Box 20 - RPP & Box 44 - Union Dues.)

This answer is not clear. 

I have the same question - where does one enter their child's t4 information if there is not a place to? If the only option is to enter t1 information, do you enter the information shown in box 14 on a t4 in the space that is identified as the "sum of lines 30300 to 31400" on a t1?

If you apply for certain credits for your child, the question will come up about their income which is where you will put it. Their T4 is to be reported on their own income tax return.  Please see our TurboTax articles below for more information.

Why All Working Children Should File A Tax Return 

Summer Jobs and Taxes Part 1 – School Aged Children (under 18)

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

joseebt

What about T4AP - is that considered income for a dependent that I need to report on my own income taxes?  For children that otherwise don't have any income.  @TurboTaxGinette 

As per your dependent's T4AP, the dependent needs to file their own return to enter their T4AP and you will enter their income in your return also as information for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). When you apply for certain credits for your child, the question will come up about their income which is where you will put it.

joseebt

This seems to contradict other information I have read which state that the parent does NOT enter the child survivor benefit in their tax return.   My dependent is 11 years old and doesn't have any other income so I don't believe they need to file income taxes themselves.  

You do not enter their benefit as your own income, you're only answering how much income they received when asked. Since you are not reporting this as your own income, it will only affect your tax return if you are making a claim for the Eligible Dependant Amount for that child.

You are correct, because your dependent is only 11 years old, you do not need to file a separate tax return for a child who receives a T4A(P) slip. (Only if they had other income from say a part-time job, would you file a tax return for them.)