Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's another odd issue. I entered information on T4 Box 85 and it shows on my spouses T1 not mine. How am I supposed to correct that when it's not on her T4 entries?

I entered information on Box 85 on my T4 on our joint filing. And it is showing up on her T1 form with a warning about lack of deductible credits. I see no way to change this as it does not show up on mine at all? What gives? Seems like  a genuine program bug which you usually don't get with Turbotax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Here's another odd issue. I entered information on T4 Box 85 and it shows on my spouses T1 not mine. How am I supposed to correct that when it's not on her T4 entries?

The medical expenses (including the premiums from Box 85 of your T4) are being reported on your wife's return as TurboTax has found this to be the "optimum" claim. It is usually the lower income spouse who benefits from the medical expense claim, and TurboTax applies the expenses accordingly. 

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647641

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The medical expenses (including the premiums from Box 85 of your T4) are being reported on your wife's return as TurboTax has found this to be the "optimum" claim. It is usually the lower income spouse who benefits from the medical expense claim, and TurboTax applies the expenses accordingly. 

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647641

OKay thank for your response. But when I do that it overrides but will not allow Netfile which we prefer to use. Why all the complications? I just want to get done and file?