Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sami_tali

TurboTax is not allowing me to claim amount for eligible dependent/child (probably because I am married) even though I do not live with my spouse? Tax law allows that!

TurboTax is not allowing me to claim amount for eligible dependent (Child), probably because I am married, even though I do not live with my spouse! Tax law allows you to claim this amount, even if you are married, if you did not live with your spouse, did not support your spouse, and were not supported by your spouse. TurboTax perfectly did this before, but not anymore. My guess is that they updated the software and screwed it up! TurboTax would even ask you explicitly to confirm you did not live with spouse, and tell you "congratulations you are eligible to claim the amount" then you get a zero deduction next page!! Something is wrong. Please advise.

2 Replies

TurboTax is not allowing me to claim amount for eligible dependent/child (probably because I am married) even though I do not live with my spouse? Tax law allows that!

You are not entitled to claim an amount for eligible dependant if you are married or common law.  If you live apart, it must be due to a breakdown in the marriage or common-law relationship.  Otherwise, you cannot make the claim.

sami_tali

I am quoting the condition from the tax code: "You did not have a spouse or common-law partner or, if
you did, you were not living with, supporting, or being supported by that person."
That is exactly my situation, word by word.
Now please tell me how you put that into TurboTax. What selection should I make?