Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a T4 from an employment agency (box 81) so need to fill out T2125. I also had other self-employment income. Do I need to enter them as two separate businesses?

Both businesses are web development and I've used the same business number for both. I've remitted my HST for both altogether also. I've paid CPP/EI through the agency but nothing for my other income. Should I separate them? And can I claim similar expenses for my employment agency income as I do for my other self-employment income?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a T4 from an employment agency (box 81) so need to fill out T2125. I also had other self-employment income. Do I need to enter them as two separate businesses?

You will need to enter them separate so that it doesn't double your CPP.

You can claim similar expenses if that is what you had for each business.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You will need to enter them separate so that it doesn't double your CPP.

You can claim similar expenses if that is what you had for each business.

Thank you!

So I've separated them into two businesses but I'm still getting this error: 'You have used the same business statement to report self-employment earnings from a T4 slip and other self-employment earnings. You need to report your other self-employment earnings on a separate business statement to ensure that your CPP/QPP contributions are calculated properly.' I collected GST on the employment agency income so I included it on lines 1 4 and 5 for that business. Is that causing a problem?