Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skfazio

Can I claim the northern residences deduction?

I lived in Wabasca, AB for six months Jan 1st - July 1st. Turbo Tax telling me I can't claim the northern residences deductions. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax will give you a "Warning" that says "To qualify for the Northern Resident's Deduction, you must live in a prescribed northern zone for at least six consecutive months". This is a warning only and does not mean you cannot claim the Northern Residence Deduction. You should, however, click on the Review button next to it, click Applies to Me, then check to see that you have correctly entered your dates as shown in the screenshot.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

TurboTax will give you a "Warning" that says "To qualify for the Northern Resident's Deduction, you must live in a prescribed northern zone for at least six consecutive months". This is a warning only and does not mean you cannot claim the Northern Residence Deduction. You should, however, click on the Review button next to it, click Applies to Me, then check to see that you have correctly entered your dates as shown in the screenshot.