Neither T3, nor T5008 don't reveal my capital losses for 2018. How can I show CRA that I had actually losses occurred in 2018?

I received Official Statement - Performance Report from my financial institution that indicates how much capital I invested and what was market value of my account between Jan 1, 2018 and Dec 31, 2018. The statement shows how much cash I actually would be able to get if I were to overdraw full amount out of my investment account in the end of  2018. But neither T3, nor T5008 don't show this, they only show money movements and proceeds of dispositions. As a result, all those numbers add up as income in my tax declaration, but realistically my investment account was down a lot by the end of 2018.

I other words, can I claim "negative changes in value" (using official statement) from 2018 under Net Capital Losses or Other Capital Losses, or anywhere else? 

Answer

Please review the link below to assist you with your capital losses.

In the online edition of TurboTax, what should I do if I have a capital loss on a T5008 slip?

In the online edition of TurboTax, capital losses reported on a T5008 slip are entered in the same way that capital gains are entered. On your T5008 slip, you have a capital loss if the amount in box 20 is greater than the amount in box 21. In other words, a capital loss occurs when the cost or book value associated with the securities transaction recorded on your slip is greater than the proceeds of disposition or settlement amount.

If you enter any T5008 slip with a capital loss, TurboTax gives you a warning when you reach the Review stage. If you are sure that you have entered your T5008 amounts correctly, you can ignore the warning. Alternatively, you can go back and verify your amounts before continuing with the review.

To deal with the warning related to capital loss, complete the following steps:

1. On the Review: Warnings page, next to the warning message about the T5008, select Review.

2. Based on your preference, at the lower-right corner of the page, take one of the following actions:

• If you are sure about the accuracy of your T5008 data entries and want to remove the warning permanently, select Ignore. If you don't have other warnings, TurboTax displays the We checked your return for accuracy page. If you have other warnings, TurboTax brings your back to the Review: Warnings page so that you can review the rest of the warning messages.
  • If you want to double check your T5008 entries, complete the following steps:

1. Select Applies to me.TurboTax returns you to the T5008 - Summary page. For each of your T5008 slip, TurboTax displays a T5008 – Box 21 amount on the page.

2. For every T5008 - Box 21 amount listed on the page, do the following:

i. Next to the amount, select Edit.The T5008 - Securities Transactions page appears.

ii. Verify the amounts in the boxes on the page with the amounts on your T5008 slip. Make changes or corrections if necessary, and then select Done With T5008.

3. Select Done With T5008 Slips.The Review: Warnings page appears.

4. On the Review: Warnings page, next to the warning message about the T5008, select Review.

5. At the lower-right corner of the page, select Ignore. If you don't have other warnings, TurboTax displays the We checked your return for accuracy page. If you have other warnings, TurboTax brings your back to the Review: Warnings page so that you can review the rest of the warning messages.

INF31445
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L2vAY1Bax_CA_en_CA

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community