Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nayju22

How can a dual citizen file USA & Canadian taxes on TurboTax Canada?

I am a dual citizen (USA & Canada)

I have lived & worked in Canada my whole life, I do not make above $30,000 CAN and this year I am filing my taxes myself on TurboTax Canada.

I am wondering how to properly complete taxes in both countries under my circumstances. I have spoken to the IRS and they suggested a couple options.

Using Form 2555 (or 2555EZ) Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

OR

Using Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit (as to not get double taxed)

both of these forms will be accompanied with Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return

Could I complete this on TurboTax Canada? or will I have to file twice with TurboTax Canada & US? Could I also just file with the IRS after using TurboTax Canada?

3 Replies

You will need to use Turbotax Canada product to file with CRA, and the US version to file with IRS.

What version of turbo tax should I used.  I use Home & Business for the US and State returns.  Do I need to file a Canadian and a Provincial return.?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

You will need to file a Canadian tax return for 2019. You can use any of the TurboTax products in this link: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/returning.jsp

On the top bar under Product and Pricing, you can choose a Desktop/Download product or an Online Product > under each option you can choose the type of return based on your tax situation.

I hope this was helpful