Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djptracey

Do I have to apply a capital loss from previous years to 2018 gains if it's included in my carry forward information or will Turbo tax do that for me ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to apply a capital loss from previous years to 2018 gains if it's included in my carry forward information or will Turbo tax do that for me ?

The loss amount will carry forward for you but you'll have to apply the chosen amount of the loss yourself in the Losses section.

Using the Find button, search and select the option "Losses" to apply the loss.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The loss amount will carry forward for you but you'll have to apply the chosen amount of the loss yourself in the Losses section.

Using the Find button, search and select the option "Losses" to apply the loss.

I have more Capital Gains Loss carry forward, than I have Capital Gains this year. But TurboTax seems to just let me enter any amount into the amount applied to this year on the LOSS WS. Shouldn't it only let me apply up to the maximum gain for this year?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Yes you choose the amount you want to apply against your gain. The unused amount will be carried forward for future years.