Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwallan

How do we recover the 2018 return data from a *.~tt file??

I prepared my wife and my 2018 tax returns, net filed both, saved PDF copies and saved the return as a *.tt18 file; no problems.  

My daughter prepared her and her husbands tax returns, net filed both, saved PDF copies and attempted to save the return as a *.tt18 file...  

HOWEVER, when she tried to save the .tt18 file Turbo tax crashed leaving only a *.~tt file in the save folder.  How do we recover the 2018 return data??

The *.~tt looks to be about the right size for a *.tt18 file but won't load in TurboTax.  Screen capture attached.

Since my daughter did manage to net file her returns for 2018 this is not a priority BUT it would be nice to have the *.tt18 as the starting point for next year's tax returns.

We've used TurboTax forever and never had a problem, so this is a first.

9 Replies

You can try renaming the file extension to .tt18 and see if it will open that way.

bwallan

Already tried that and the file is NOT recognized as a TurboTax data file; sadly.

The tax returns I filed in March 2019 did not go through for Linda Joyce Noble, Lorrie
Anne Croken and Eugene Croken. I Efiled them. The government did not receive. Why?

Did you receive my message?

I cant find my 2018 tax returns for myself and my husband on my hard drive. so how can I forward details on to my 2019 TurboTax which I have now on my windows 10. I have used TurboTax forever, with no previous problems. What can I do.

@bwallan You can try searching the save folder for a .ttbk file with the same name as the return you are missing. TurboTax/CD Download auto saves backups to .ttbk files, so it might still have most of the return data, if not all of it. You need to rename the file to .tt18 before you can open it in TurboTax.

@Joyce Noble Did you get a confirmation number? If you sent them by NETFILE and didn’t receive a NETFILE confirmation number for each return then they were not sent successfully, and need to be resent.

This FAQ has more info on how to find out if your return was filed using NETFILE and received by the CRA: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-know-if-my-return-was-filed-...

Please note that the NETFILE servers are currently down for maintenance, and will not reopen until February 24, 2020. You will be able to resend your returns at that time.

@Painterly1 This FAQ has information that may help you find your files if you used TurboTax CD/Download: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3285180

Unfortunately, if you are not able to find you returns, we won’t be able to help you find them. Since TurboTax CD/Download saves return files only to your computer, we don’t have copies of them on our end, so we can’t recover or search for them.

bwallan

Searched the whole computer for a .ttbk file back in March with no success.  My daughter has now moved to CanTax due to her problems ten(10) months ago!

Sorry to see her move off Intuit's software since it now costs us both $$$'s to submit a return.

bwa