Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently received an inheritance from my recently deceased brother's RRSP. Do I need to claim it as income if I did not receive the T4RSP?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recently received an inheritance from my recently deceased brother's RRSP. Do I need to claim it as income if I did not receive the T4RSP?

The T4RSP was likely issued in your brother's name and reported on his final tax return. Canada does not have an "inheritance tax", and any funds you receive are tax-free. Only if you were to invest these funds, or they earn income are you required to report the income earned on your own tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The T4RSP was likely issued in your brother's name and reported on his final tax return. Canada does not have an "inheritance tax", and any funds you receive are tax-free. Only if you were to invest these funds, or they earn income are you required to report the income earned on your own tax return.