Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyuri

My spouse is non-resident and is self-employed in our home country. How do I report income and status?

My wife is non-resident and still lives in our home country. She is self-employed and files her taxes there. I seem to be getting a refund that is due to her having no Canadian income. 

Is this correct? How should I report her income? I don't want to claim more than what I am owed.

3 Replies

My spouse is non-resident and is self-employed in our home country. How do I report income and status?

Unless you can prove that you supported your spouse (with money transfer, etc…), then it’s best not to take the spousal amount: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647950

lyuri

Thanks! How do I enter the net income so that I don't claim the spousal amount? The link here just says enter it as net income. Should I declare it as 'Other Income'?

On the left side menu, choose Additional Information about [Spouse’s Name] from under My Info.
Answer No to the question “Was [Spouse’s Name]'s net income for 2018 zero?”. Then you can put in $15,000 for their Net Income.