Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim a friend's daughter came from England to stay with me?

A friend's daughter came from England to stay with me.  It was thought that she would stay a few years.  In preparing for her arrival, I put down new floors and painted the basement (there is already a bathroom and bedroom down there).  I also did some landscaping to widen my driveway to account for her getting a car.  Her mother had sent money to me via money transfer a few times.  The young lady staying with me decided after a short period to move elsewhere.  Can I still claim the floors, paint, maintenance done in preparation for her?  If yes, where on the tax form and how much?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What you have described is a cost-sharing arrangement more than a rental situation as there was no expectation of profit. In these situations, you do not need to claim the rent nor the expenses.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/rental-income/renting-below-f...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I assume you are joking! Of course not.

So, there are no write offs to having a tenant living in your house?  If not, then I do not need to claim 'rent' that I received?

What you have described is a cost-sharing arrangement more than a rental situation as there was no expectation of profit. In these situations, you do not need to claim the rent nor the expenses.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/rental-income/renting-below-f...