Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzchee123
Returning Member

Non-Resident tax withheld for 1st quarter of 2018. (NR4 slip available). Resident for the the year of 2018. Do I have to file a section 216 separately?

I moved back into Canada after Q1 of 2018. I received rental income during the duration I was a non-resident and had withholding taxes by my agent. I received an NR4 showing my withholding taxes.
The rest of the year, I am deemed a resident of Canada again. Is there a place to enter NR4 slips in turbo tax or do I need to file a section 216?

Thanks and Regards,
1 Reply

Non-Resident tax withheld for 1st quarter of 2018. (NR4 slip available). Resident for the the year of 2018. Do I have to file a section 216 separately?

To enter a NR4 slip in TurboTax, you would have to look at the income code on the NR4 to determine where the amount should go. So if you have Code 13 income, you would fill out a T776 to enter the rental income, then you can put the taxes you paid on Box 22 of a T4A slip.

I don’t think you would need to do 2 separate returns, but you may want to contact the CRA to confirm. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are somewhere else you can call 613-940-8495. Here are more ways to contact the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html