Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryan-izatt
Returning Member

How does the Pension Splitting optimizer work with the OAS Claw Back?

When I try to optimize pension splitting between my wife and I, TurboTax does the optimization but also gives a Note saying "However, you should expect your OAS cheques to be reduced by $124.60 beginning in July 2019." When it says "your OAS cheques", does it mean mine when I'm transferring pension income from my wife to me? Or is this the net difference in total claw back of OAS for both my wife and I? Doesn't her OAS cheque go up because we're reducing her income subject to claw back?  I don't see how the claw back number of $124.60 is arrived at.  It is not 15 of the amount being transferred.

The Help screen has an example but the numbers make no sense.  They must be in error.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If your income on your tax return is increasing, your OAS payments may be reduced.  However, if your spouse's income is decreasing, the OAS payments for that individual would not be clawed back.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If your income on your tax return is increasing, your OAS payments may be reduced.  However, if your spouse's income is decreasing, the OAS payments for that individual would not be clawed back.