Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I moved to be 45km closer to work after changed from morning to afternoon shift. same position, same company. Does this qualify for Moving Expense?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I moved to be 45km closer to work after changed from morning to afternoon shift. same position, same company. Does this qualify for Moving Expense?

This is really a grey area that you may want to confirm with CRA if your claim is eligible or not. CRA looks at the purpose of the move and considers it to be eligible when you do not change employers if:

• an employee moves due to a transfer to another establishment of the employer.

If your move is considered to be solely for personal reasons, you cannot claim Moving Expenses, and moving closer for the same position within the same company might be considered to be for personal convenience. It's really up to CRA if they consider you to meet the requirements or not.

Here is a detailed Income Tax Folio about Moving Expenses: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-fol...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

This is really a grey area that you may want to confirm with CRA if your claim is eligible or not. CRA looks at the purpose of the move and considers it to be eligible when you do not change employers if:

• an employee moves due to a transfer to another establishment of the employer.

If your move is considered to be solely for personal reasons, you cannot claim Moving Expenses, and moving closer for the same position within the same company might be considered to be for personal convenience. It's really up to CRA if they consider you to meet the requirements or not.

Here is a detailed Income Tax Folio about Moving Expenses: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-fol...