Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help figuring out how to claim my tuition, won't let me claim my deduction for 2018 tuition

5 Replies

I need help figuring out how to claim my tuition, won't let me claim my deduction for 2018 tuition

Do you have taxes payable? What province are you in? Which version of TurboTax are you using? Is it Online or is it the CD/Desktop edition?

I am using the Standard Version and I am in Quebec. I have tuition money but it won't let me claim it in my deduction for 2018

Do you have taxes payable? Are you getting an error message?

I don't owe any taxes and I am not getting an error message

The tuition credit is non-refundable. You only get the credit if you have tax payable. It will not add to a refund. So if you are already getting a refund, you won’t get the tuition credit, instead it will carry forward to future years to be used when you do have taxes owing.