Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ikram1969

I got a new job 200+ km away from my current home 6 years ago but I am thinking to sell the house now. Can I still claim selling costs in current year as moving expenses?

1 Reply

I got a new job 200+ km away from my current home 6 years ago but I am thinking to sell the house now. Can I still claim selling costs in current year as moving expenses?

Most likely not. The following CRA information describes how you may be able to claim moving expenses in the following year if your home did not sell until then. Waiting six years to sell your home is beyond the time frame given to complete your move.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

There are Moving Expense deductions available if your old home was vacant and you were making an effort to sell it during this time, however, your decision to sell after this length of time would definitely disqualify you for claiming any of these deductions as well.

"Cost to maintain the old home when vacant (line 12) You can claim, to a maximum of $5,000, interest, property taxes, insurance premiums, and the cost of heating and utilities expenses you paid to maintain your old home when it was vacant after you moved, and during a period when reasonable efforts were made to sell the home. You cannot claim these costs during a period when the old home was rented. The costs must have been incurred when your old home was not ordinarily occupied by you or any other person who ordinarily resided with you at the old home just before the move".