Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you claim tuition credit for government paid program?

I have amount in box 105 of T4A form and also a T2202A tuition receipt. This was a 4 month full time government paid program. Turbo tax did not include my T4A as income. Can I claim the tuition tax credit even I didn’t pay for it?

Izabela 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can claim this tuition tax credit. As the amount you received was included in your taxable income from Box 105 of the T4A, then qualified for the scholarship exemption, CRA states as follows:

"A student in receipt of a scholarship, fellowship, bursary, or prize described in paragraph 56(1)(n) can generally claim a tuition tax credit for the value of their tuition, even if the award is exempt from the student’s income by virtue of the scholarship exemption under subsection 56(3), providing it otherwise qualifies as tuition".

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-fol...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can claim this tuition tax credit. As the amount you received was included in your taxable income from Box 105 of the T4A, then qualified for the scholarship exemption, CRA states as follows:

"A student in receipt of a scholarship, fellowship, bursary, or prize described in paragraph 56(1)(n) can generally claim a tuition tax credit for the value of their tuition, even if the award is exempt from the student’s income by virtue of the scholarship exemption under subsection 56(3), providing it otherwise qualifies as tuition".

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-fol...