Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim prime residence if I purchased with intention to live there but never lived there due to Job. I changed roof, furnace. Its residential and I owner only this 1

I purchased house with intention to live there after my University graduation ( as a Nurse, its very close to the rural Hospital), but I got full time job as a nurse in different city, with Night shifts, which did not allow me to live and visit my home at all. Now I am doing my Masters in nursing and will not likely live there at all. I want to sell it now. I owned only this one property for 4 years and I did lots of big Improvements (roof change, New furnace, new road, etc…). I hired relatives to look after it and renovate and get ready for my move in time. I did not rent it. Can I still claim this as a prime residence?

1 Reply

Can I claim prime residence if I purchased with intention to live there but never lived there due to Job. I changed roof, furnace. Its residential and I owner only this 1

You would have to double check with the CRA, but if you, your spouse, or your children didn’t live there, then it can’t be considered as a principal residence.

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are somewhere else you can call 613-940-8495. Here are more ways to contact the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html