Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjpukitis

If receiving EI while on maternity leave in Canada, is tax withheld? If not, how do I know how much to save for taxes?

Not looking for a product-related answer, but an answer to help make sure I set aside enough money.

5 Replies

If receiving EI while on maternity leave in Canada, is tax withheld? If not, how do I know how much to save for taxes?

If there is tax withheld from maternity pay, it would be very minimal.  You should have a look at the federal schedule 1 on the CRA website to which tax bracket you fall into. https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/5000-s1/5000-s1-17e.pdf

sjpukitis

Ok, does Turbotax have a calculator for that?

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not have a calculator for that.

sjpukitis

Ok thanks. What does this mean in line 2: Age amount (if you were born in 1952 or earlier) (use the federal worksheet) (maximum $7,225) 301+ 2

Only pay attention to the tax brackets on the second page of the federal Schedule 1.