Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have unused federal tuition and education amounts of $227636 and ON amounts of $218322. I work in Vancouver (BC). What happen to ON credits when I file taxes in BC?

I have unused federal tuition and education amounts of $227636 and ON amounts of $218322. I work in Vancouver (BC). What happen to ON credits when I file taxes in BC?
I was an international student at U of Toronto, studied many years (BASc and MASc), recently graduated. Currently choosing between job offers in Vancouver (BC) and Toronto (ON). Wondering how the location of my job would affect my provincial (ON) tuition credits if I carry forward to BC. 

Thanks!

1 Reply

Thank you for using the Intuit TurboTax AnswerXchange

Rules for claiming provincial carry forward of tuition credits for a different province can be complicated, so we recommend confirming with the Canada Revenue Agency. But, check the bottom of the Provincial Tuition and  Education Amounts form. The schedule BC(S11) , 2018, has this: note " (1) If you resided in another province or territory on December 31, 2017, enter on line 1 your unused federal tuition, education, and textbook amounts from your 2017 notice of assessment or reassessment." So there are mechanisms for the transfer of credits when a taxpayer moves between provinces which should be consulted.

Hope this helps

reference:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/5010-s11/5010-s11-18e.pdf